Ballarat Writers Inc. (BWI) invites writers to enter the 2021 Southern Cross Short Story Competition.
Opening date: 1 August, 2021
Closing date: 30 September, 2021
Short stories to 3000 words on the theme, TURNING AWAY.
First prize -$1000 AUD
Second Prize – $400 AUD
Third Prize – $100 AUD
Two Highly Commended certificates will also be awarded.
To be announced November 2021
Entry Fee to be paid online at https://www.trybooking.com/BSYVW
Ballarat Writers Inc is a non-profit organisation, Incorporation No. A001874SK
2021 JUDGE – JULIE KOH
Julie is the author of two short-story collections. Her full-length collection Portable Curiosities was shortlisted for numerous awards, including the Readings Prize for New Australian Fiction 2016 and the Queensland Literary Awards – Australian Short Story Collection – Steele Rudd Award 2016. Portable Curiosities was one of The Guardian’s Best Australian Books of 2016.
Julie’s short stories have appeared in many publications, including The Best Australian Stories in 2014 to 2017, Best Australian Comedy Writing, The Sleepers Almanac 7 to X, The Canary Press, Liminal, Meanjin and The Lifted Brow.
She judged the 2017 Monash Undergraduate Prize for Creative Writing, Writing NSW’s Varuna Fellowships 2017, the Sweatshop Youth Week Writing Competition 2018, the 2018 Stella Prize, the 2018 Woollahra Digital Literary Award – Flash and Short Fiction, and the 2019 Liminal Fiction Prize.
More at https://jylkoh.com/
WINNING WRITERS AND STORIES
The winning stories will be announced at an award presentation in Ballarat in November 2021. The full results and judge’s report will be published on the Ballarat Writers Inc website www.ballaratwriters.com in December 2021.
- Competition is open to anyone over the age of 18 years as of 1 August, 2021
- Entries must be NOT MORE THAN 3000 words including the title
- All entries must have a title
- Entries must be the original work of the applicant
- Entries must not have been published anywhere, broadcast, or won a prize in any competition
- Entry fee for non-BWI members is AUD$20 per story/entry
- Entry fee for BWI members is AUD$15 per story/entry
- Entrants may submit up to three entries, each at the specified entry fee
- The entry fee is payable online by credit card before midnight on the closing date 30 September 2021 – refer to submission instructions below
- Entries must be emailed to the email address below, before midnight on the closing date 30 September 2021 – refer to submission instructions below
- All entries to be in English, double-spaced and using the standard 12 point font ‘Times New Roman’
- Entrant’s name must not appear on/in the story
- Fees will not be refunded
- No corrections will be accepted, or correspondence entered into
- Results will be announced on the website: www.ballaratwriters.com in December 2021
- Copyright remains with the author
- The judge’s decision is final
- Neither the BW Competitions Co-ordinator nor any person involved in pre-reading or judging of entries may enter.
N.B. By submitting an entry, or entries, to this competition, you give permission for your work to be published in part or in full on the Ballarat Writers Inc website, and/or in any Ballarat Writers Inc publications, and you further agree and declare that the work submitted is your own original work and has not been copied in part or in full from any other source.
The 2021 submission process has two parts:
- PAY the entry fee online by credit card through Trybooking. A booking fee of 50 cents applies to each entry. See below for the payment website.
- EMAIL your story to the email address below (email@example.com). Save your story as a PDF file, and attach it to your email. In the subject title of your email, put ‘Southern Cross Competition 2021’. In the body of the email, include your full name and address, the title of the story and the word count. The email address by which you submit your entry will be the email address we use to contact you if necessary.
Both parts above must have been completed before midnight on the closing date 30 September, 2021.
Failure to follow/abide by any of the stated rules may make your entry, or entries, ineligible.
Competition website: www.ballaratwriters.com