Enter the 2013 Southern Cross Literary Prize worth $1,500
The Southern Cross Short Story Competition, a biennial event run by Ballarat Writers Inc, has been providing encouragement and support to emerging Writers since 1988.
Short stories of up to 3500 words are welcome from all writers and there is no restriction on the number of entries each writer may submit.
Entry fee is $20 per story and the closing date is October 30, 2013.
Results will be announced at our final reading for the year on Thursday 5th Dec, 7.30pm at the Ballarat Mechanics Institute. Shortlisted entrants will be notified in advance.
The winning entry will receive $1500 (AUD) in prize money.
There will be a short-list of three stories and each will receive feedback from the judge.
This year’s judge:
Ballarat Writers Inc are pleased to announce that the judge for 2013 is author Toni Jordan.
Toni Jordan’s debut novel, Addition, was listed for the Barbara Jefferis Award and for the Miles Franklin in 2009, and has been published in sixteen countries. Her second novel, Fall Girl , was published in 2010 and her latest, Nine Days won the 2013 Indie Award for best fiction. Toni’s articles have appeared in The Sunday Age, The Sun-Herald andThe Monthly, and she also teaches creative writing. Toni lives in Melbourne.
How To Enter:
Step 1: Read the Conditions of Entry and Checklist below.
Step 2: Navigate to http://www.trybooking.com/DBXI and complete your payment for entry. You can pay for multiple entries in the same purchase.
Step 3: Download and complete the entry form available here: SCLC Entry Form 2013
Step 4: Post your entry form and 2 copies of your short story to:
Southern Cross Short Story Competition, PO Box 2738, Bakery Hill Vic, Australia 3350
Conditions of entry:
- An original single-authored short story in English of up to 3500 words.
- Previously published or prize-winning stories will not be accepted. Entries
must not be on offer to any publishers or prizes for the duration of the Southern Cross Prize.
- Entries will be judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript.
- There is no age or residency restriction.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a fee of $20.
- Multiple entries are acceptable, but a separate entry form must accompany each story.
- Multiple entries may be paid for in one Trybooking transaction.
- Payment must be made through our online booking serviceTrybooking
via the link on our website
- The closing date is 30 Oct 2013. Late entries will not be accepted.
Entries postmarked 30 Oct are acceptable.
- All of the three short-listed stories will receive feedback from the judge.
- Entrants will be notified by email (where possible) of the safe receipt of their entries, and of the final decision.
- In order to notify you of the results, we require an email address.
- Entrants must sign the declaration at the bottom of the entry form to be eligible.
- If entrants subsequently withdraw their entries, the entry fee will not be refunded.
- The judges’ decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The prize will be $1500
- Entries must be typed and printed on one side of white A4 paper, at 1.5 line spacing and in a minimum 12 pt font size. The pages of stories should be numbered.
- The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript.
- We require two copies of each story.
- Entries sent by fax or email will not be accepted.
- Payment will only be accepted through our Trybooking system.
- Entries must be mailed to:
Southern Cross Short Story Competition,
PO Box 2738, Bakery Hill Vic, Australia 3350
For any further information contact <email@example.com>